Writing Poetry

Would you like to write a poem but you just don't know how? Well hopefully I can help with that! So I'll use this poem I made as an example:

Oh winter bleak,

With ice so sleek.

It's the most wonderful time of the year,

Everyone has great cheer.

For It is the birth date of our Lord and Savior, 

Christ Jesus with perfect behavior.

Christmas is not about a Santa and his reindeer,

Or a magical place in the northern hemisphere.

It is about the Lamb of God,

My Strength in the darkness.

 

As you can see I rhymed a lot. Rhyming in a poem is optional but I think that rhymes add a very beautiful touch to poems that just ties it all together. I didn't rhyme with the last two lines because...to tell the truth I couldn't find any rhymes that I liked...but that's okay! It's your poem, your rules! 

So when do you write a poem? Well whenever you want! But when you are inspired to write is the best time. One time I had an idea for a poem and I decided to not write it down, big mistake, because now I don't remember what I wanted to say or the words I wanted to use! Once you get into the poem it gets easier to write, I started the first two lines and ended them with no idea what to do next, but then i got inspired and the ideas just started to flow out of me! 

One last tip is to replace words with synonyms, for example, instead of saying "Everyone has great joy" I could say "Everyone has great Cheer" "Joy" is a fine word to use but I do feel that "Cheer" adds a little bit more to it. (This is just an example feel free to use the word 'joy')

Hope this helped!





Comments

  1. Those tips are really helpful and that poem is beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment